News and Updates

Information for campers, parents, staff, and alumni regarding goings-on at camp.

Weeks 1-5

Sent to camp families May 31

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Dear Camp Families – 

For the past two months, we have been anxiously awaiting word that we would be able to welcome everyone to Melody Pines this summer.  This past Friday, the governor announced that day camps will be allowed to open effective June 22nd under the Stay at Home 2.0 Guidelines for Day Camps.

This weekend, we worked tirelessly to find ways to make camp happen within these guidelines.   Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, there were just some obstacles we could not find our way beyond.  At this point in time and have had to make the heartbreaking decision to cancel the first half of our summer:  Weeks 1-5 (June 15 - July 17).

Our number 1 priority has always been and will always be to protect the health and safety of our campers and staff, both physical and mental.  Although the guidelines have put in place protections against the spread of COVID-19, they have put in place other restrictions such as masks, social distancing, and group size that simply do not work at Melody Pines.

We know how much our kids are struggling right now and how much they need camp.  For kids, however, camp is about fun and being with the friends and counselors that they love.  It is not in their nature to remain socially distant.  To welcome children to Melody Pines only to tell them that they cannot join their friends in a game of gaga, swim together on a sunny day, or build a castle together in the sand is not fair to them.  To require them to remain socially distant and wear masks in the heat of summer is not practical.

It is our greatest hope, that by canceling the first half of the summer, the COVID landscape will change in time and with it, the guidelines for Day Camps.  

At this time, all camp registrations and deposits for Weeks 1-5 will be moved forward to the 2021 season with Week 1 beginning on June 14th, 2021.  If you do not wish for your registrations for Weeks 1-5 to be moved forward to 2021, you will have until December 1, 2020, to cancel any/all of your weeks for a full refund, including deposits.  

We ask that for now, you refrain from canceling additional weeks unless you know that you do not wish for your child to attend those weeks in 2020 or 2021 and that you refrain from making any additional payments for the Summer of 2020.

Please know that this was not an easy decision for us to make.  We are not ashamed to say, we have shed many tears over the loss of the first half of the summer. For our family, camp is not just a job; it is our life.   We thank you for your patience, support, and understanding over these past two months.  If there is one thing we have learned from this experience, it is how important our campers, staff, and families are to us and how important we are to them.  

We miss you all and hope to welcome you back to Melody Pines soon.  Stay well.

Steve and Erika

Covid Update 3.0

Sent to camp families May 14

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Since our last update, we have received numerous calls and emails regarding the Summer of 2020.  As the parents of 3 children, we understand the frustration and difficulty that comes with waiting and appreciate your continued patience.  

Our decision to open camp for the Summer of 2020 is not one we are taking lightly and is not something we can rush.  Over the past several weeks, we have been working with the Governor's Task Force, representing day camps, on guidelines for the safest ways to operate during the COVID pandemic.  We have also continued to watch for guidelines from the CDC, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and professional camping organizations.  

Our Number 1 priority has always been and will always be the health, safety, and well being of our campers and staff.  Next Tuesday, The Governor's Task Force, in consultation with NH health officials, is set to vote on New Hampshire's guidelines for operating camps in the safest way possible.  From there, it will be up to the Governor to approve, deny, or modify those guidelines.  Until then, we continue to work daily in preparation for camp to open and remain hopeful that we can comply with those guidelines for the health, safety, and well being of our campers and staff.  

Although we cannot make any promises regarding our summer season, we can promise you that your children and your families are our priority and that as soon as we have answers, you will be the first to know. For now, we would like to remind you that we have postponed our cancellation deadline until May 25th and ask that you continue to hold off on any cancellations until we have more information.  

Stay well, stay safe, and please know we are thinking of you.


Steve and Erika

Latest Message to Camp Families

Friday, April 17, 2020

We are incredibly touched by the outpouring of support we have received over the last couple of weeks.  We have heard from campers, who miss camp and cannot wait for summer with us again and from parents who are concerned for our family and the future of Melody Pines.  We are truly humbled.  

Yesterday afternoon, Governor Sununu announced that all New Hampshire schools will remain closed through the end of the school year.  No directives or decisions, however, have been in regards to summer camps.  Over the past month, we have had to face the challenge of preparing for a camp season that may or may not take place. We know you have concerns and want to update you on our plans for the Summer of 2020.

Plan: Melody Pines is currently scheduled to open for the season on Monday, June 15, 2020, and we are moving forward as planned.  After months at home, we know parents need to work and children need exercise, friends, and to be outdoors.  We have moved our cancellation deadline to May 15, 2020, and our payment deadline to June 1, 2020.  Our plan is to begin tours for new families on June 1, 2020.  

Contingency Plan:  In the event that the State of NH declares that we are not able to run camp due to COVID-19 we will not be unscathed, but rest assured, we will open again in 2021.  If directed not to open for the Summer of 2020, we will proceed as follows:

  1. All camp registrations and deposits will be moved forward to the 2021 season with Week 1 beginning on June 14th, 2021.  
  2. If you do not wish for your registrations to be moved forward to 2021, you will have until December 1, 2020, to cancel any/all of your weeks for a full refund, including deposits.
  3. If you remain registered, you will be locked in at the 2020 rate for all weeks you are currently registered for and you will not need to re-register in February of 2021. Your spots are secure!  
  4. If you wish to register for additional weeks for the Summer of 2021, registration will re-open in February.  At that time, families will be able to register for any additional weeks available at the 2021 rate.    
  5. Upon request, we will issue refunds on payments made beyond the $40 deposits.
  6. We will automatically issue full refunds, including deposits, for all campers who will turn 14 prior to the start of next season and will be ineligible to attend.

Thank you all for your incredible support and understanding.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.  We are here for you!

Thank You,

The Connors Family
Melody Pines Day Camp

We understand that future plans for work, childcare, and summer have been complicated for all of us due to COVID-19. On March 26th, Governor Sununu issued a Stay-At-Home-Order for New Hampshire residents that will remain in effect until May 4th. It is our hope that all will return to normal after May 4th, but at this time there are still uncertainties. We understand that this means most, if not all of you, will not be able to make all of your summer decisions by our May 1st cancellation deadline. As a result, we will be extending our cancellation and payment deadlines as follows: 

Cancellations: All Cancellations, previously due by May 1st, have been extended and are now due to the camp office by May 15th. 

Payments: All Payments, previously due by May 15th, have been extended and are now due to the camp office by June 1st. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at melodypines@comcast.net.  We hope you and your family are safe and healthy and remain so.


Steve and Erika Connors

Summer 2020

Email to camp families

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Here at Melody Pines, we are continuing to actively plan and prepare for the Summer of 2020. We have hired an amazing staff and are working hard to get our grounds in shape.  At the same time, however, we are actively monitoring news and updates regarding COVID-19 in the US and in New Hampshire.  

The health and safety of our campers and staff is our number one priority at Melody Pines. While we currently anticipate no disruption to the 2020 camp season, we will continue to assess the situation and follow any directives from the CDC and the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services. 

We hope that you and your family are safe and healthy, and will continue to keep you updated as we move towards the summer camp season. 

Thank You,

Steve and Erika Connors